Tuesday 12 June 2007

First Scan & The Blackbird Botherer in the Night-Time

Well today at 11:30 is our first scan at the Samuel Johnson Community Hospital in Lichfield. Becky's just left for work, and I'll be over to collect her at her office in Tutbury in a couple of hours or so. Not sure what to expect from this first scan. I remember looking at the first scan of our friends Simon and Helen's child back in mid-March, so I've got sort of an idea about what's coming. Becky's worried about the blood tests as she bruises so easily, and last blood test she had a couple of years ago at the Burton Queen's Medical Centre, the student nurse taking the blood was so busy chatting she made a real hash of sticking the needle in and Becky was poorly for a couple of days. I shall be posting the first scan photos on my Flickr pages later today ...

Anyway, nice stuff aside ... last night we were trying to get our cat Alfie in at about 23h00, and there was NO sign of him at all (he's lost his collar at the moment, too, so we can't hear his bell ... he's in the feline version of stealth mode). So we called and called, and heard a sudden, high-pitched squawking - which is unusual as birds aren't usually around at that time of night. So this morning, Becky calls him again ... nothing. Eventually he saunters in like some (self-perceived) hard case, has his breakfast and suddenly wants out again. Just before I let him go, I notice a male and female blackbird going bonkers across the courtyard out back ... and then I spot huddled in a corner a baby blackbird with feathers ripped out of its back, but still being fed by its parents (good sign, they haven't abandoned it). So I keep Alfie in (his night patrol having caught up with him, he's now fast asleep), and get my big gardening gloves on and go to pick the blackbird up to put it atop the high, covered birdtable. Broke my heart, as I reached down, as it held its beak open to me to be fed ... I so so gently lifted it up onto the birdtable and quickly moved away so the parents would be happy I wasn't there.

As I sit here now, I'm looking at the bird table outside, and the mother blackbird keeps coming back to feed the baby. I'm hoping it won't be so daft as to jump off the birdtable. Alfie won't be going out until I'm sure it's gone, even if he goes mad to go out, he'll bloody well stay in.

I just hope everything works out for that baby bird, in just the same way I hope everything works out for our baby.

No comments: