Wednesday 13 June 2007

First Scans & Maternity Wards that double as IKEA Showrooms


Well they're done, the very first scans of the baby ... and I tell you what, what an experience it was for me to sit there and see on the screen this tiny little living thing moving around and changing sides (obviously annoyed, trying to get comfy with that bloody nurse poking around and trying to get a good shot of him / her). It was all so unreal at first, like "Is that really ours?" I was in absolute awe of the whole experience ...

Then Becky had the blood test done, and was so scared of that big needle. I wanted to crack the old joke of "You might feel a little prick ..." but kept my mouth shut.

We then had a tour of the Maternity Ward at the hospital. Well, I say Maternity Ward, it was more like a comfy, modern home, very tastefully decorated (including a mural painted by a Spanish artist), with dining room, kitchen, luxurious beds and armchairs, massive flat screen TVs, stereos, jacuzzis (yeah,
jacuzzis), lots of very friendly and chatty midwives. Becky was beaming all the way 'round the place, so was I. One room did look like it was straight out of Big Brother, which unnerved me a bit. But apart from that, even I'd be happy living there!

As for the baby blackbird, it fell off the birdtable, so I put it on the flat roof of our bathroom, which it jumped off ... so now I've put it in a box with sides too steep for it to jump out of, where its parents can get in to feed it and it can build up some strength until I take it to the RSPCA centre in Stretton (which,
surprise surprise, was closed yesterday). Alfie stayed in all day yesterday, and my word was he annoyed!

No comments: