Monday 4 June 2007

What Is Happening To Our Weather, Mr Miller?

Yesterday was such a beautiful, sunny, June day that it's hard looking out of the window this morning to understand how the weather can suddenly become so inutteraby dull. I've got to travel down to London today, so I'm leaving it until about lunchtime to avoid traffic hell on the M42, M40 and M25 motorways. Actually, I have to go into Guildford in Surrey first, then I'll head into London from the south. Whatever, I'm not looking forward to it, I'd much prefer to be working from home.

1940s at the Bass Museum

We went to the Coors Visitor Centre yesterday (or for the purists, the Bass Museum as it was once known) to visit a 1940s day that they'd put on. It was quite marvellous, all people dressed up in 40s gear, "soldiers" walking around, armoured vehicles and old cars everywhere, Glenn Miller music playing everywhere, it was quite marvellous! I'm not the biggest fan of 1940s style, but I have to admit they put on a good show and the place was certainly packed.

Rant Par Excéllence

We'd parked over the road from the museum, in one of the Burton's many "pay on exit" carparks. So I go to the paystation, put in a brand new £10 note to pay the £2.50 fee, and end up having the note spat back out. I try 5 or 6 times, but it won't accept it! So I went into the cinema foyer right next door, change the tenner for a fiver and five £1 coins, get back to the paystation machine, and NOW it asks for £5 for the ticket ... b***ards!! What can I do? I have to pay.

On the exit I spoke to the parking attendant - who, just add insult to injury, was some geeky-looking Polish bloke with next to no English language skills. He was disinterested, as he couldn't understand me ... this REALLY riled me, and caused me to start shouting at him. He eventually, not to mention begrudgingly (how dare I make him work for a living, this would never happen in Warszawa), wrote down the complaints number, and I'm going to shout at the carpark junta fascisti today. Watch this space ...

No comments: