Sunday 3 June 2007

Sgt Lloyd-Webber's Lonely Hearts Club Band ...

I watched an incredible one-off documentary last night on the Beatle's greatest album, and the most successful UK album ever produced - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Because it's the 40th anniversary of its release this year, a number of current groups (The Fray, Kaiser Chiefs, The Magic Numbers, Travis, etc.) went into Abbey Road Studios to record the album again using the same technology and methods that the Beatles used. It was fascinating to see them all struggle with the 4-track method, having no digital gadgets to help them or cover their tracks. It was quite a documentary ... the Kaiser Chiefs' drummer seemed so obsessed with the Beatles that he even knew how Ringo Starr was playing as he sat at his drumkit recording Sgt Pepper - right down to the tea-towels he had over the drums to control their resonance! Brilliant brilliant viewing ... is this album going to be released, I ask?

Any Dream Will Do

Now I'm no real fan of these talent-hunting TV shows, like The X Factor, Pop Idol, Grease Is The Word or last year's f***ing horrible How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria?, principally because they're shite. However, I do have to say that I've caught on to this year's Any Dream Will Do, about the search for a Joseph (& The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat). I never thought I'd let myself sink so low into Saturday evening telly, but this show has been gripping. I am a big fan of Andrew Lloyd-Webber (not such a big fan of his facial features, however ... ooh bitchy!) and so I like watching it for his feedback and criticisms (which almost invariably begin with the word "Look ......."

Becky and I are rooting for this guy called Lee to win the competition, because he seems to be the only one at the moment with all-round talent. Don't get me wrong, the others are good, it's just that Lee seems to have that professional edge on them. Here's a clip of his audition ... good lad!


No comments: