Friday 25 May 2007

Black daleks & earthly damnation secured ...

I looked out of the window yesterday and got the shock of my life ... what looked to all purposes like a black dalek was sat in our garden! For that one split second I was like "What the fffffff ... ?!" Then I remembered, I'd order a compost bin, and it'd arrived far more quickly than recyclenow.com had stated. It only cost me £9 (with free delivery too).

So now I'm the very proud owner of one very black compost bin, and the only thing I've got to do is find somewhere for it. The base of it is open, to allow worms and other creatures to help break down the contents of the bin, otherwise I'd have put it on some hardstanding at this end of the garden ... as it happens, it'll have to go 30 metres down the garden into the back corner where it can work its magic before feeding my vegetable patch next year.

On another note, we met a group of friends last night as we do every Thursday evening more or less at one of their houses a couple of streets away, and I got a really good tip-off for a book by CS Lewis (not my favourite author) called "The Screwtape Letters". Its story takes the form of a series of letters from a senior devil, Screwtape, to his nephew, a junior tempter named Wormwood, so as to advise him on methods of securing the damnation of an earthly man, known only as "the Patient." (who was an ordinary man living in war-time England).

What I didn't realise was that Bono's characters "MacPhisto" and "The Fly", as seen in U2's Zoo TV Tour, were inspired by Screwtape. I'm really looking forward to reading it!

No comments: