Sunday 27 May 2007

A wet weekend of work work work ...


Why is it that every UK bank holiday weekend it has to rain? Yesterday it was threatening a few spots throughout the day, although I managed to put up two trellises (I love that word) for the climbers I've planted and the grape vines.

To make matters worse, I've had some emergency work this weekend for a customer, and it's just added salt to the wound of the weekend's dubious meteorological conditions.

Still, we've got tomorrow to look forward to, as we're going up to Sheffield to see Il Divo in concert at the Sheffield Hallam Arena. It was a Christmas gift for Becky. We'll take a leisurely drive up over the Peak District, I think - even that place looks beautiful on a rainy day.

I'm just going outside to admire my trellises (sounds like a euphemism) ... actually I wonder what the plural for trellis is ... trellae, perchance?

Oh and another good book recommendation I got from a friend of mine in London is The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. Again, I'm really looking forward to this book, the synopsis really firing me up ...
Dawkins contends that belief in a supernatural creator qualifies as a delusion, which he defines as a persistent false belief held in the face of strong contradictory evidence. He is sympathetic to Robert Pirsig's observation that "when one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."
I guess that even though I go to church and consider myself Christian, I had to read this book. After all, we're all allowed the freedom to think what we like. Well, we will be again after the "Labour" government are crushed at the next election. I just can't wait for Cherie Blair to do us all a favour, and forget to brake as she hurtles towards a brick wall.

As you were.

1 comment:

Daryl said...

I've read the God Delusion. Pretty good although it didn't change my opinion too much. I consider myself Agnostic (or a wishy-washy, sit-on-the-fence agnostic as Richard Dawkins would describe me). I didn't quite buy his argument that atheism is the only rational choice, but his case is strong nonetheless.